Talib Kweli & DJ Clark Kent Talk Jay-Z vs. Biggie, Superman Crew, & Sneakers | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with acclaimed DJ, record producer and curator of the culture:
DJ CLARK KENT
Here’s some of what we covered with “God’s Favorite DJ” and leader of the untouchable Superman DJ Crew:
• Why he chose the name Clark Kent and to call his DJ collective the Superman Crew.
• Playing records for his Grandmother at age 9 being a defining moment in his life.
• The New Music Seminar’s DJ event turned into ‘Clark Kent’s Battle For World Supremacy.’
• Telling a crowd that Jay-Z was the best emcee in the world before he was known.
• Grandmaster Caz being the first best emcee and Rakim being the most important.
• Modern-day disappointments of music fans’ attention span and the need for quality control.
• Technology takes the art out of DJing and the importance of learning the fundamentals.
• Convincing Jay-Z to stop hustling and start rapping instead.
• Why Clark says Biggie is the best rapper and Jay-Z the best emcee.
• The test of a great rapper being able to make the listener believe what they are saying.
• Women in hip hop and how the gender of an emcee is completely irrelevant.
• ‘Sneaker Culture’, black people being the culture creators and rappers as role models.
• How fame isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and the importance of people’s motives for fame.
• The true test of a DJ coming from their ability to make a crowd feel what they do.
• Why Clark chose to stake the claim of “God’s favorite DJ”.