Talib Kweli & Kurupt Talk Freestyling With Snoop, DPG, 2Pac, East-West Rivalry | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with rapper, writer, actor, entrepreneur, lyrical assassin of the Death Row camp, and one part of the most iconic west-coast duos, The Dogg Pound:
Here’s just a small fraction of the almost 2½ hours of incredible content that the crew covers in this mega-interview:
• Kurupt’s move from Philadelphia to Los Angeles at 16, and having to learn LA street code.
• Meeting Snoop Dogg for the first time during a freestyle battle at the Roxy.
• Getting his “do or die” shot for a spot in the Death Row roster at Suge Knight’s party.
• Regrets regarding the treatment of women in his verses on songs like ‘Ain’t No Fun’ and ‘B*tches Ain’t Sh*t.’
• Biggie inciting the shooting during the filming of the music video for ‘New York, New York.’
• How Kurupt ended up squashing his beefs with CNN and DMX.
• Tupac’s induction to Death Row after Suge Knight posted his bail.
• Kurupt opens up about his fiancé Natina Reed who tragically died in a car accident in 2012.
• They discuss Kurupt’s revolutionary Moonrock marijuana strain and his exit from the business.
• Becoming good friends with Buckshot of Black Moon after running into him at a club in NY.
• The importance of having cultural currency in hip-hop and respect for the current generation.