Talib Kweli & will.i.am On Black Eyed Peas, Native Tongues, Kanye, Technology – People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with rapper, singer, songwriter and record producer:
Here’s what we got into:
• Will and Talib first meeting in 1998 while on tour together with Biz Markie.
• Groups like Juice Crew and BDP having a profound influence on Will as a youth.
• Bringing STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) to the hood.
• KRS One inspiring Will’s path of giving back to his community.
• The story of how he met fellow BEP member and one of his best friends apl.de.ap.
• Leaning on BEP’s Taboo to be the center of energy when they’re performing.
• The love for former member Kim Hill despite their past differences.
• How Native Tongues provided the blueprint for the Black Eyed Peas.
• Will’s ”Lost Change’ album originally intended as a movie score.
• The ‘My Humps’ concept coming from his cousin’s dislike of clubs.
• Will originally wanting Nicole from the The Pussycat Dolls to join BEP.
• Pushback over Fergie joining the group and Will’s confidence in the decision.
• Will’s experiences working with Strong Arm Steady.
• Kanye being very different as a personal friend versus his public persona.
• How much Kanye’s ‘I used them’ comment hurt Will’s feelings.
• BEP’s hit ‘Let’s Get It Started’ and the OG version ‘Let’s Get Retarded’.
• Working for Intel, eventually being named their director of creative innovation.
• How products are marketed can have a lasting effect on communities.
• Successfully pitching the term ‘EKOCYCLE’ to Coca-Cola.
• His confidence during pitches stemming from his history as a battle rapper.
• Supernatural being the ultimate example of a true freestyle emcee.
• Talib’s theory of Will being a time traveler from the year 2031.
• Will’s thinking of currency being rooted in yes’ and no’s.
• His formula of writing for people far different than himself.
• How J. Rey Soul ended up joining the Black Eyed Peas crew.
• Interscope dropping BEP after 2018’s ‘Masters Of The Sun Vol. 1’.
• Feeling vindicated from the success of their 2020 effort ‘Translation’.
• Why Will wishes he went to college knowing what he knows now.
• The predictive algorithms of smart phones being troublesome.
• Moving his family out of the projects still being his biggest win.
• Working on creating a digital asset tool made specifically for creators.
• Starring in the show ‘Alter Ego’ and the future of the virtual world.