Talib Kweli & Kid On Kid ‘N’ Play, ‘House Party,’ 2Pac, Martin, Luke Beef, ICP | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with rapper, actor, comedian and one half of the legendary Kid ‘N’ Play:
Christopher “KID” Reid
Here’s what we got into:
• Kid’s family dynamic, being born to a Jamaican father and Irish mother.
• Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff originally being targeted to star in House Party.
• Telling some hilarious stories about comedian Robin Harris.
• How Kid linked up with Play while performing in rival high school groups.
• Being brought in as back-up dancers for Salt-N-Pepa.
• The impact of DJ Red Alert on the culture.
• Hurby Luv Bug being an underappreciated legend in the game.
• ‘Rollin’ With Kid ‘N Play’ and it’s infusion of Go-Go music.
• Sharing the same sample as LeShaun’s song ‘Wild Thang’.
• Talib’s recent attempt at Kid’s jump through the leg move.
• Kid ‘N Play’s becoming friends with 2Pac during his days with Digital Underground.
• Being the counter-balance to all the hardcore groups they toured with.
• Full Force ad libbing their lines as the bullies in House Party.
• Play’s teaching of courses at HBCUs.
• Being inspired by Daryl “Chill” Mitchell’s perseverance after being paralyzed.
• The House Party soundtracks never sounding right due to the greed of label heads.
• Recognizing the genius of Chris Tucker early-on.
• Yasiin Bey doing an impression of Ray Jay.
• Immature being the lead characters of House Party 4.
• Lebron James’ upcoming House Party reboot.
• Taking a break from music following 1991’s ‘Face The Nation’.
• Doing the theme songs for the Martin show as well as Real Time With Bill Maher.
• Having a blast opening up for Insane Clown Posse.
• Notable bars from Belly’s song ‘Lullaby’ as well as ‘Come Down Is Real’.
• Dissing Uncle Luke and Vanilla Ice on 1991’s ‘Next Question’.
• Class Act mirroring Kid ‘N’ Play’s real life story.
• ‘Hair drama’ that unfolded between Kid and the producers of Class Act.
• Kid’s KidNBlaze cannabis company and how he wants to approach the business.
• The artistic genius of Play and the pair recognizing their strengths.
• What Kid has coming up next.