Talib Kweli, Miles & Jack Brown On Black-ish, Lootpack, MF Doom, Dancing, NBA | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with actor, dancer and rapper Miles Brown along with his father, emcee Jack “Wildchild” Brown. Here’s what was discussed on this one:
• Dance being a major factor in the development of Jack’s style as emcee Wildchild.
• The influence of Tha Alkaholiks on Jack’s group Lootpack.
• Jack listening to House and Alternative music before he got into rapping.
• Learning to dance when Jack would skip class to attend shootings of Soul Train.
• Miles and Jack going viral with their contribution to the ‘#OptimisticChallenge’.
• The early days of Miles “Baby Boogaloo” Brown and performing at Bust A Move in Montreal.
• Katie Couric asking to touch Miles’ hair during an interview.
• Miles’ first experience at a rap concert being an MF Doom show.
• Talib being detained for six hours at the boarder under suspicion of drug trafficking.
• How Miles landed his role as Jack Johnson in the series Black-ish.
• Witnessing Yara Shahidi’s level of social awareness, well beyond her years.
• The ‘THE Word’ episode’ of Black-ish and Miles’ take on the N-word today.
• The ‘Crime and Punishment’ episode relating to parents disciplining their kids.
• What Miles learned from his TV mom Tracee Ellis Ross in how she conducts herself on set.
• Miles dancing with Diana Ross and her paying him a huge compliment.
• How Miles felt about his role as Emmett in the film ‘Boy Genius’.
• Basketball being one of Miles’ biggest inspirations and his rap single ‘NBA’.
• Miles’ debut album ‘We The Future’ and the big-name features on the record.
• Why Miles chose to have Siedah Garrett on his song ‘Toy Gun’ dedicated to Tamir Rice.
• Miles paying homage to the greats like Slick Rick, Redman, Meth, BDK, Rakim and others.
• The song ‘Special’ being dedicated to Miles’ mother and sister.
• How Jack’s song ‘Interviews’ was inspired by his experiences with hip hop journalists.
• What we can expect next from Jack and Miles Brown.