Talib Kweli & Jaleel White On ‘Family Matters,’ Bill Cosby, Weed Biz, Sonic | People’s Party Full
In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with actor:
His character Steve Urkel took the TV world by storm after joining the cast of Family Matters. Here’s what we dug into with Jaleel:
• His start doing doing commercials right out of preschool.
• Not thinking Family Matters was funny when he first watched it.
• The problematic history of white writing for black shows.
• Steve Urkel joining Family Matters being a bridge for the white writers.
• His issues with the idea of a Family Matters reboot.
• Harriette Winslow first appearing on the show Perfect Strangers.
• His parents keeping him grounded during the height of fame.
• Addressing Jaleel’s public statements regarding Bill Cosby’s guilt.
• Connecting reasons for the success of Black Panther and shows like Family Matters.
• Not feeling welcomed by the cast of Family Matters for the first two seasons.
• Fond memories of working with Kellie Williams who played Laura Winslow.
• His mother stepping in and ensuring Jaleel received a decent education.
• Issues on set when Jaleel was asked to play Myrtle Urkel.
• Voice acting for the ‘Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog’ cartoon series.
• A blessing in disguise that came from starring in ‘Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus’.
• How much he enjoyed hosting the game show ‘Total Blackout’.
• Why Jaleel decided to jump into the weed biz with his cannabis line ItsPurpl.
• Struggles of not being able to shake the Urkel image after leaving Family Matters.